Saturday, April 4, 2009

New Bike!

I finally discovered my slice of heaven within the pronounced 'island of the gods', Halla Cycles. After long searching, researching and fitting (as there is no such term for 'test ride' in Korea, I willingly slid my atm card through the machine and purchased my new bicycle.

A Giant, hailing from Japan. In fact, they don't sell this model in the US. It is the lowest end of the higest end bike they make, but by no means is it low end. It is a compostite aluminum with carbon components (fork (stalk), stem (freebie!! add on to do american size and status!, 120.00 dollar value, saddle post and all shimano integra components)and an all around sexy piece of art.

I got a fantastic deal on it too. It retails in Japan for about 145,000 Yen, with is roughly 1,450.00 US. Which in Korean is about 1.95 million, almost as much as my paycheck. However, this guy way awesome and has this model, which is last years, but who really cares, sitting around for a few months as it is a larger size (52 cm). I was able to to it up for 1.3 million, plus a bit more for some cages, a tool bag that is far better than my other one, toe clips. The owner through in another freebie light and he put on the seat post as I left as he told me it was too dark and unsafe to ride home without it. Julia was with me, so I obviously walked it home...mostly....but I wonder if he was thinking I would be ditching her for me newly acquired transportation....

It is shiny and beautiful and in noway will leave this apartment in the rain... and yes Zack, I am keeping in doors this time around....

Rode it around for a bit, but can't wait until daylight tomorrow to take it out for a spin to some new areas.

I also got a bike map of the entire island with many routes and labeled distances. All I need now it a miles to km converter on the ol iPod.

2 comments:

  1. freakn awesome kyle
    im so happy you have a baby now.
    will you be bringing it back with you or will it be too old =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, this is a bike I will be bringing back with me. Shipping to the states from here is ridiculously cheap. friend of mine paid 71 bucks to ship 5 gigantic boxes to Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete